The Beginner’s Guide to Zen Habits: A Guided Tour
‘Smile, breathe and go slowly.’ ~Thich Nhat Hanh
By Leo Babauta
While some of you have been following Zen Habits since its early days (beginning of 2007), many of you are fairly new readers.
To help you through the fairly overwhelming archives, I’ve compiled a beginner’s guide. Kind of a Quick Start guide.
First, a note: Please don’t try to go through this all at once. There are days and days worth of reading here. I’ve just organized that so that you can go to the stuff you want to learn about first.
Take it in small chunks.
Where do you start when you have a thousand posts to read through? You start with the best, or at least the most popular.
So here they are:
Most Popular Posts
- be still.
- a brief guide to life.
- the best goal is no goal
- the lost art of solitude
- the elements of living lightly
- the zen of doing
- The Ultimate How to Get Lean Guide.
- simplify, and savor life
- How Not to Hurry
- Email Sanity: How to Clear Your Inbox When You’re Drowning
- the barefoot philosophy
- The No. 1 Habit of Highly Creative People
- The Little But Really Useful Guide to Creativity
- The Simple, Ridiculously Useful Guide to Earning a Living from Your Passion
- 10 Benefits of Rising Early, and How to Do It
- 20 Things I Wish I Had Known When Starting Out in Life
- Simple Living Manifesto: 72 Ideas to Simplify Your Life
- A Guide to Creating a Minimalist Home
- Get Off Your Butt: 16 Ways to Get Motivated When You’re in a Slump
Browse the Archives
But those are just the stars of the All-Star team. You can actually scroll through the entire list of posts (warning:it’s long), in the Archives.
Next you’ll want to delve into some of your favorite topics. You can go through a few compiled guides I’ve hand picked for some of the more popular categories:
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Simplifying Your Life, and Way More
- The Unsurpassable Productivity List: A Handy Guide to Getting Important Things Done
- All The Best Tips on Getting In Shape, In One Handy List
- The Golden Money List: Hundreds of Tips for Turning Your Financial Life Around
And if that’s not enough for you, here’s are some Best of Zen Habits collections:
- Essential Zen Habits of 2011
- Essential Zen Habits of 2010
- Essential Zen Habits of 2009
- Essential Zen Habits of 2008
- Essential Zen Habits of 2007
- Best of March 2008
- Best of February 2008
- Best of January 2008
- Best of Zen Habits 2007
- Best of November 2007
- Best of September and October 2007
- Best of August 2007
- Best of July 2007
- Best of June 2007
- Best of May 2007
- Best of April 2007
- Best of March 2007
- Best of February 2007
By now, you might want to know more about Leo, the guy who writes this blog … well, I’ll give you more than you’ll ever want to know. Start with my personal website.
Short version: I’m married with six kids, moved to San Francisco in 2010, started Zen Habits in January 2007, love to write, run, and read, live a simple life. I also started mnmlist, wrote The Power of Less, and am now self-publishing a book called focus.
Long version: If that wasn’t enough, here’s more than you ever wanted to know:
- My Story
- The Zen Habits FAQ
- Uncopyright (I’ve made all the articles on this blog in the public domain)
- Experiments in Blogging (results of the Uncopyright and more)
- Notes on Fatherhood
- Celebrating Zen Habits’ first birthday
- Notes on Life, and more Notes on Life
- How I Work
- 10 Books that Shaped My Life
- 10 Biggest Influences on Zen Habits
- 6 Annoying Fetishes I Talk Too Much About
Whew! That was a lot of reading. There’s more, if you’d like, though. I’ve written a number of books:
- 52 Changes
- The Effortless Life
- The Little Guide to Un-Procrastination
- Zen To Done
- The Simple Guide to a Minimalist Life
For other books that I recommend, see the Zen Habits bookstore on Amazon. I get a small cut from each sale made there.
Your generosity has kept this site alive! Thank you, all of you.